7 Holiday Plants That Are Toxic to Pets

While they may bring festivity to your home, some popular holiday plants are dangerous for your pets. Best to be informed before decorating this year!


The holly plant and its berries contain toxins that can be harmful to pets and children when consumed; causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.


Mistletoe is romantic until you hear what it can do to your pets :( It contains lectins and phoratoxins which may cause low blood pressure and slowing down of the heart in animals when consumed in large quantities. If you think your pet has eaten just a bit, look out for symptoms like gastrointestinal upset, weakness, restricted breathing, and low blood pressure.


Maybe don't buy any from the neighborhood children for their fundraiser this year. Poinsettias' sap may cause an allergic reaction in animals which could manifest as vomiting, drooling, and skin irritation.


Popular in holiday floral arrangements, and even year-round, but lilies are extremely dangerous to cats. Consuming small amounts can result in convulsions, heart arrhythmias, or even organ failure.

Christmas Tree

That's right. The live Christmas Tree you have in your living room could be a threat to your pets. Its pine needle oils can irritate your pets mouth and stomach. If you have a chewer, gnawing on it could cause diarrhea, an obstruction, or even intestinal punctures. Also, Christmas Tree water isn't a refreshment - bacteria can build up over time.


Consuming ivy can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, increased drooling, and more in animals


You're probably thinking "What is this?" while having it hanging on your mantle or front door! Laurel is commonly used in wreaths - and some species of laurel contain highly dangerous neurotoxins, such as grayanotoxin, which can impact skeletal and nerve function when ingested. As well as hinder the heart’s ability to function—a potentially lethal consequence.

Source: MentalFloss

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content