As is pointed out in this video by YouTube channel CGP Grey, there are lots of instruction manuals on how to make yourself happier. They come in books big and small, full manuals and quick tips, online articles and unsolicited internet comments.
But what about unhappiness? After all, misery can be a much more attainable goal!
How, you ask?
The video breaks it down for you:
- Stay still. Don't do anything, do go anywhere.
- Mess up your sleep schedule.
- Spend as much time as possible staring at screens, like a phone or computer.
- Focus on negative things you have no control over.
- Set vague, unattainable goals for yourself.
- Pursue happiness itself, rather than things which might lead to happiness.
- Once you start your path to misery, let your instincts and impulses keep you there.
And there you have it!
Who's ready to get miserable?